February 14, 2017 by sek120
This table runner is made from the leftovers of the sunshine place mats I made earlier.
Scraps of colorful fabric, at least 8 inches long and more than 1 1/2-inches wide.
Coordinating dark, preferably solid color fabric for border about 1/3 of a yard.
14-inch by 34-inch fabric for backing
14-inch by 35-inch felt for lining
- From the scraps, cut 30 pieces of a mix of colors 1 1/2-inch by 7 1/2 inches.
- From the light fabric, cut 30 pieces 1 1/2-inch by 1 1/2-inch squares and 30 1 1/2-inch by 2 1/2 inch rectangles.
- Cut two strips from the dark solid 2 1/2-inches by 14 1/2-inches and two strips 2 1/2-inches by 30 1/2 inches.
- Sew one light square to the top and one light rectangle to the bottom of each colored strip from the scraps. Press the seams and trim loose threads.
- Line up the scraps in the order you want, alternating whether the small square is at the top or the bottom. It should look sort of like a zig zag.
- Sew the strips together. Press the seams and the whole piece.
- Sew the 30 1/2 long strip of dark fabric to the sides of piece you just finished. Then add the shorter pieces to the end. Press seams and trim loose threads.
- Make a sandwich with the backing on the bottom, the felt in the middle and the pieced-topper on the top.
- Quilt the pieces together with a pattern of your choice or stitch-in-the-ditch.
- Bind the edges with bias tape.